Menu Close

Barnesville Hospital Sponsors Mercury Thermometer Exchange

Barnesville Hospital is sponsoring a mercury thermometer exchange on Friday, May 24th from 7 am noon in the hospital lobby. A free digital thermometer will be provided for every mercury thermometer which is brought in. Funding for this event is provided through the Ohio Environmental Education Fund Grant.

Mercury is toxic and can negatively impact people, especially children, and wildlife when released into the environment. Mercury can be absorbed through the skin, inhaled or ingested. Mercury metal is a liquid at room temperature and readily turns into vapor in the air. Children and fetuses are at the greatest risk for health problems due to mercury since their nervous system is still developing.

Barnesville Hospitals Green Team has been instrumental in exploring ways to recycle materials at the hospital and has also been active in pursuing opportunities to keep our community safe, said Michael Carpenter, Facilities Director. Each year the hospital recycles over 33 tons of solids and over 1000 lbs. of hazardous waste. The Mercury Thermometer Exchange is one additional way we can benefit our community.

For additional information regarding the Mercury Thermometer Exchange please call 740-425-5109.